Monday, October 20, 2008

Where do you sneak in Photos?

One of my favorite things to do is to travel. Of course my camera is always with me. My wife has called my camera “The other woman.” Over the past two years I’ve had the opportunity to work for the Center for Naval Leadership as my reserve duty. Every two months I would travel to different reserve centers throughout the Midwest and facilitate our leadership classes. During these trips I’ve often had some spare time to do a little photography.
Late last fall, on my way to Columbus Ohio, I had a chance to stop at the Hopewell Culture National Historic Park. It was a beautiful morning at the base of the foothills of the Appellations. The site contains large burial mounds of an ancient culture. Not exactly a very photogenic site, but relaxing to hike around.

In Cleveland I had the chance to visit Cuyahoga National Park twice. One time in winter and one time in the early fall. Although not the wilderness that many associate with a national park, it was a nice oasis from the grind of the interstate just outside its borders.

This past spring, I had a chance to go to Key West. Now, I use to go there with my fraternity brothers every summer for Irish Kevin’s anniversary party. This time though it was for my military duty. My wife flew down for a long weekend and I even took some photos that have sold.

Unfortunately, my units mission has changed and the monthly travel has ended. None the less, thanks to the Navy, in the last two years I’ve seen Virginia Beach, Coronado Island, Key West, and many cities in the mid west that I would not otherwise of seen. This year I was hoping to go to Maine so I could spend the weekend at Acadia National Park. I guess Acadia will have to wait. Take your camera on these little business trips. You never know what you might find.

Please comment back and share with us how you squeeze in a shot or two.

No comments: