Monday, September 22, 2008

Seattle Trip Report

I decided to add some reports on the locations that I visit and upload images from. For those of you who read my previous post on how to sell so-so images, you know that I had a business trip to Seattle, WA this February. I’m happy to say that I’ve been able to sale a few of those images.
Let’s start off with the Cascade Mountains. Now, even though Seattle was somewhat pleasant thanks to its proximity to the ocean, drive inland and up into the mountains changes things quite a bit.


I flew in very early in the morning and headed straight for Snoqualmie pass. It was also conveniently a ski resort. They had a lot of snow, which I enjoyed skiing on thoroughly. Now here in Indianapolis, we do get snow. Not enough to make very interesting winter time photos. But in the Cascades, they get plenty. Check them out:






Even the drive up gave you plenty of photo opportunities. This was the only day during the week that I was there that I was able to drive into the mountains. Heavy snow storms closed all east-west passes in the state. Not to worry, I did go downtown and snapped some images from the Space Needle. For me though, the most rewarding time was on Whidbey Island. With roads to Mount Ranier and North Cascades National Parks closed, I decided to take a drive to Ebey’s Landing National Historic Reserve,. Even in February, it was beautiful. For those of you who enjoy the locals that you meet while practicing your hobby, I found out from the receptionist at the local museum in Coupeville that Whidbey Island is in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains. In other words, they get 300 days of sun shine a year. That was exactly what I needed after being in Seattle all week.


Whidbey Island is very scenic. There are several ferry options to get you and your car there. There are some spectacular rural and shoreline scenes to take in. From soaring cliffs to lighthouses. From fields to beaches. It was just an absolutely relaxing time.







A few tips for shooting in this area. First off, avoid Seattle and the surrounding cities during rush hour. You will only find yourself frustrated in traffic. Take enough ziplock bags for your equipment. Seattle is a wet environment. We had rain almost every day and snow once. If you venture into the mountains during this time of the year, keep an eye on the weather. Washington State Law requires you to have tire chains when driving in the mountains. They also close the passes during snow storms because of avalanches. Keep your camera inside your jacket with the lens caps on while outside. This helps keep your camera warm and functioning correctly. Enjoy yourself!

No comments: