Friday, August 15, 2008

How to Organize Your Files

Ever heard that phrase,”never put all your eggs in one basket?” Microstock is no different. I recommend creating folders of around 20 images. You only upload these folders once you get 20 images in them. You can do more or less. I’ve tried out 50 images before. The problem with that is that I wanted to get my “good” images out on the market so I filled the rest of the folder with “filler” images. Because of that, I took a huge hit in my acceptance ratio and as a result, I’m seeing lower sales on those sites. I’ve returned to the 20 image folder method. Also, with 50 images, uploading, key wording, and assigning categories took way to long

Once I have 20 images, I select all of them and rename them. Each folder has a name Set 10, Set 11, etc. I rename one of the selected images as Set 10 (1).jpg. All the rest automatically rename themselves Set 10 (2).jpg, Set 10 (3).jpg The number in parenthesis is the index number. Now, create a document that is formatted as such:

Index Number
Title
Description
Keywords

As you are adding the information to the images on your Microstock sites, just double click each line. Press Ctrl C to copy the data. Click the corresponding field on the web site and click Ctrl V to paste the information. It makes uploading so much faster.

You can also add this data to the image file. On a Windows Vista or XP computer, right click the image and select Properties. Click the Details tab. You can now add the data to the Title, Subject, and Keywords fields. Not all MicroStoack sites can read this data, but I’m willing to bet more and more of them will in the future.

Keeping organized also helps when uploading to multiple sites. Now, back to the Eggs in one basket thing. If you upload to multiple sites, you hit more customers. More customers means more money. This method also helps you to keep organized and to upload your content so you do not accidently repeat your work. Also, it helps to protect you from a poorly performing site. I had one site that I spent a considerable amount of time to upload images to only to find it out of business six months later. Protect your investments and be ready to upload to multiple sites.

No comments: